ZVIZDAL – 2016
[Chernobyl - so far so close]
A filmic portrait about two people, living in a ghost town.
A story about solitude and survival, the results of a failed atomic experiment.
1986. About 90 towns and villages around Pripyat are evacuated.
The failure of an atomic experiment causes a drastic change in the lives of the locals. They leave their houses never to return.
Pétro and Nadia, a married couple of 60-year-olds who were born and raised in Zvizdal, refuse to be evacuated. They prefer to stay put in their old village, in their own house. A ghost town. All their acquaintances have left, their plundered houses bear witness to better days. Petrified places, overgrown by nature.
Between 2011 and 2016 Berlin follows Pétro and Nadia in an effort to
portray the evolution of their story over the years. How does one bear years of isolation? There is the lack of electricity, of running water and heating. There are the superstitions, there is the vodka, the muttering, the cursing and praying and singing, the toothaches, the ailments of old age, the 20-km walk to the nearest shop, the wait for someone from civilization.
Zvizdal draws a portrait of solitude, survival, poverty, hope and love
between two elderly people in their eighties surrounded by colourless, odourless but omnipresent radiation.
ZVIZDAL – 2016
|With||Nadia & Pétro
|Photography & editing||Bart Baele,
Geert De Vleesschauwer
|Sound recordings||Toon Meuris,
Bas de Caluwé,
|Interpreter||Olga Mitronina||Soundtrack & mixing||Peter Van Laerhoven|
|Construction set||Manu Siebens,
|Scale model||Ina Peeters,
with the help of Puck Vonk,
|Communication & production||Laura Fierens||Business management||Kurt Lannoye|
|Administrative support||Jane Seynaeve|
Het Zuidelijk Toneel [Tilburg, NL], PACT Zollverein [Essen, DE], Dublin Theatre Festival [IE], CENTQUATRE [Paris, FR], Brighton Festival [UK], BIT Teatergarasjen - House On Fire [Bergen, NO], Kunstenfestivaldesarts [Brussels, BE], Künstlerhaus Mousonturm Frankfurt am Main [DE], Theaterfestival Boulevard [Den Bosch, NL], Onassis Cultural Centre [Athens, GR] - In collaboration with deSingel [Antwerp, BE] - With support of the Flemish Government - BERLIN is associated artist to le CENTQUATRE [Paris, FR]
Wim Bervoets, Brice Maire, Lux Lumen, Els De Bodt, Pascal Rueff, Morgan Touzé, Christophe Ruetsch, Isabelle Grynberg, Nadine Malfait, Natalie Schrauwen, Katleen Treier, Piet Menu, Anthe & Ama Oda Baele, Remi & Ilias Degryse
- ZVIZ_deSingel_2016apr12_NL.pdf (813.21 KB)
- ZVIZ_DeStandaard_2016april25_NL.pdf (107.34 KB)
- ZVIZ_GvA_2016mei13_NL.pdf (312.55 KB)
- ZVIZ_KnackFocus_2016mei16_NL.pdf (330.69 KB)
- ZVIZ_DeStandaard_2016mei17_NL.pdf (134.18 KB)
- ZVIZ_CuttingEdge_2016mei19_NL.pdf (344.62 KB)
- ZVIZ_Theaterkrant_2016mei17_NL.pdf (240.08 KB)
- ZVIZ_Etcetera_2016mei31_NL.pdf (416.57 KB)
- ZVIZ_Cultuurpersbureau_2016aug05_NL1.pdf (128.35 KB)
- ZVIZ_deSingel_2016apr12_FR.pdf (119.03 KB)
- ZVIZ_LaLibre_2016mei14_FR.pdf (164.31 KB)
- ZVIZ_Rtbf_2016mei16_FR.pdf (105.68 KB)
- ZVIZ_Artetv_2016nov25_FR.pdf (4.84 MB)
- ZVIZ_Inferno_2016dec02_FR.pdf (615.63 KB)
- ZVIZ_Inrocks_2016sep_FR.pdf (919.49 KB)
- ZVIZ_LeMonde_2016nov30_FR.pdf (704.73 KB)
- ZVIZ_Mediapart_2016dec06_FR.pdf (613.84 KB)
- ZVIZ_deSingel_2016apr12_EN.pdf (101.17 KB)
- ZVIZ_DeStandaard_2016mei17_EN.pdf (38.34 KB)
- ZVIZ_KnackFocus_2016mei16_EN.pdf (71.16 KB)
- ZVIZ_Theaterkrant_2016mei17_EN.pdf (71.83 KB)
- ZVIZ_theartsdesk_2016mei26_EN.pdf (476.80 KB)
- ZVIZ_The-Argus_2016mei27_EN.pdf (1.97 MB)
- ZVIZ_ReviewsHub_2016sep30_EN1.pdf (388.08 KB)